The Empty Space In My Head

So what? Stuff happens in life and...who cares if you're ready, right? You just do it!

16 October 2007

Getting Where?

I stopped counting the hours when the clock struck. Somehow, staring at those hands and hearing the tick tock made the waiting a little more unbearable. The rain continued to pour and the tapping of every drop on the window panes are like rhythmic conversations whispering secrets to the wind.

I wondered where you are. What are you wearing? If you're actually wearing that seafoam green jacket you always have at the back of your car. It's kinda chilly outside. The scent of the autumn air nipping at your nose. You could be thinking, what the hell did you get yourself into? But then again, you know exactly what you're up against and you still chose to get in your car and drive north.

I paced back and forth looking out the glass doors watching the leaves sway to the music of the breeze. The lights go out one by one. People getting ready to turn in. Traffic outside settling down. I sigh as I crash down the couch. I turn the volume up on the TV and click on the remote not really paying any attention to the blur of images flashing on the screen. I look at my phone making sure it's on. Checking to see if there's enough signal strength for your call to go through.

I brushed my hair away from my face and gather it to one side. It has grown so long that it touched my chest. My fingers rest on a titanium ring that hung from a steel ball chain. I close my eyes and imagine the symbol of life that you wear around your neck. That same piece of metal that used to hang from my neck. It was my life, you claimed it, you took it. Now it's yours.

I look up as I heard the gates open. A car drives by, past my door. I stand up and look out once again. Hoping to see a familiar figure come through the floodlights. Nothing. I walk up the stairs, go into the room and slip under the covers. I rest my head on a pillow as a guy on TV in the background talks about genocide. The rain has calmed down. It's still cold, much more out there. Where are you, love?

A gentle touch caress my cheek. I slowly open my eyes and let light in. I felt you get in bed with me and hold me close. I reached for your hand and felt the cold metal from your ring finger. A ring that matched the one on my neck. I closed my eyes again as I felt the warmth of your breath on my nape. You're home.